Wednesday 23 November 2011

Lightweight Overnighter

13th August 2011


I managed to squeeze a quick overnighter in at one of my favourite valleys in the Lakes this weekend, not particularly bushcrafty but I wanted to get out and test some new kit. I've been getting back into the hills again this year so I've been slowly putting together some lightweight gear again after selling all my old stuff when I got into bushcraft shenanigans.
I met up with Tony around lunchtime on Saturday and took the easy 4.5 mile trail round to a stealthy camp site I knew about. I'm still not 100% and didn't fancy any big hills this weekend so I planned a nice flat route along the shoreline instead. We didn't get up to much apart from exploring the surroundings and chilling out around camp, we decided to have a fire later on so we went foraging for dead standing in one of the plantations nearby. We used an old fire scar and sat by the fire sipping Jura for an hour, by 11 o'clock we were both pretty knackered so called it a day.

Some pics ...



My new Trailstar tarp shelter, with an annoyingly close young pine, I didn't have a clue how big the footprint was going to be


A palace for one


Tony getting set up


I've not seen the water as low as this for a long time, parts of the old village were starting to appear in places. It happens quite regularly I think but I always seem to miss it.







One of the local Reds had been down for a drink recently



A nice relaxed night under the stars, cheers for coming along Tony

Kit list for those interested ...

ULA CDT Pack
MLD Trailstar tarp shelter and pegs
MLD Superlight Bivvy
UKHammocks summer top quilt
TAR NeoAir short mat
TAR inflatable sit mat
Polycryo groundsheeet
Mini Atomic stove
Titanium pot
Caldera Cone
4oz of meths
Gore-tex paclite waterproof jacket and trews
Montane Windshirt
Rab Generator vest
Cap
1L rollup water bottle
Drinksafe Supalite gravity filter bag
Long handled ti spoon
2 x dehydrated meals
Peppered Beef sandwiches, chocolate raisins & biscuits
Brew kit (Kenco 3-in-1, Bovril stock cubes, Galaxy drinking chocolate, cherry KoolAid for cold drinks)
Camera
Ipod
Torch
Gerber mini tool
FAK
1L drinking water for walk in
Gsi hip flask containing a nip of Jura Superstition
Pacer Poles

Total weight = 7.3kgs




No comments:

Post a Comment